Purpose of Importing ShelbyNext Membership Data into Church Analytics
Using Church Analytics, you can keep a near-real-time view of generosity reports at arm’s reach. Our system is designed to import data from your ShelbyNext Membership database. You can run this process as frequently as you desire.
What You Need to Start
You must have a role of Admin in the system, or at least have a role that allows you to Export Data. Talk to your ShelbyNext Membership admin if you have questions.
Preparing your ShelbyNext Membership Data
- Navigate to the Giving Reports screen. You can get there either by clicking Reports > Giving, or Giving > Reports.
- If you don’t see this option, it probably means your account doesn’t have access. See the comment on page 1 of these instructions.
- On the row of tabs, choose “By Individual”.
- Click the gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen and choose “Filter” in order to set up the proper parameters for your data. Set the dates you wish to export. Click Submit.
- Click the gear icon and choose “Export this Report”. This will prompt you to save a file (CSV) to your computer. Save it somewhere you’ll remember—you’ll need it again in the next few steps.
Church Analytics can report on up to 4 years of historical giving patterns. However, we recommend setting your start date 5 years in the past, and the end date as today’s date (or any date in the future). Optionally, you can also set other filters for your data. For example, if you only want Church Analytics to report on a single campus, or only certain giving funds/categories, you can do that too.
Formatting your File
- Open the file you created in Microsoft Excel.
- In the first row of your file, you’ll see column headers such as UID, Family ID, Relationship, and so on. These are names that are used by ShelbyNext Membership, but you’ll need to change them so that Church Analytics is able to understand your file.
- Copy this exact block of text, including all commas but no spaces:
- On the CSV file you opened above, click on the top-left cell (A1). Choose Edit > Paste to insert the entire string of text into that cell. (NOTE: you’ll be overwriting the value that is already there… probably “UID”. That’s OK)
- Next, with the cell (A1) still selected, click on the Data tab and choose Text to Columns.
- You’ll see the “Convert Text to Columns Wizard” appear. Confirm that “Delimited” is selected, then click Next
- Under Delimiters, make sure the “Comma” box is checked. Then click Next.
- The final window will give you a preview of the column names, which should line up one per column
- Finally, click Finish
- If you see “There’s already data here, are you sure you want to replace?” Click Yes. The rows in your file will now meet the requirements for Church Analytics
- Save your file
Now that you have successfully created your CSV, you can upload it to Church Analytics. Learn more here.